Convener: Dhanya S.R
Members: Dr.GeethakrishnanNair.P, Dr. Mini Chandran.C, and Dr.Susmi Sabu
The unit of Biodiversity Club was started in K.S.M.D.B College Sasthamcotta during the year 2016-2017. The formal inauguration of the Biodiversity club was done on 26/8/2016 by Dr.T.S Swapna, Principal Scientist, Kerala State Biodiversity Board. The Club celebrates World Environment Day on 5th June every year. The World Environment Day celebrations 2018 were observed in various ways with the purpose of inculcating a passion to protect and care for the biodiversity of Sasthamcotta Lake (Ramsar site). Biodiversity Club has started the preliminary works for the preparation of an account of the" Flora of Sasthamcottah Lake". The student members of the club take an active role in the various activities of the club such as planting trees, campaigning for the plastic-free campus, water conservation and protection of Sasthamcotta lake, formation and the operations of the Green Army, etc.
Major events organized in the past:
- Published a Book entitled " Campus Flora", August 26th, 2016.
- Seminar on the topic" Plant Diversity”, January 30th, 2017.
- Seminar on the topic “Conservation of Biodiversity”, November 11th, 2017.
- The club conducted a one-day Nature Camp at Shendurney Wild life Sanctuary.
- Seminar on the topic" Conservation of Forest Ecosystem", March 21st,2018.
- The biodiversity club coordinator has participated as Field Expert in the "Rapid Assessment Survey on Impact of Flood on Biodiversity- Community Perspective" conducted by the Kerala State Biodiversity Board from October 2018- November 2018.
- Organized an Exhibition of "Medicinal Plants" with an aim to create awareness on the value of medicinal plants and to promote their preservation, March 21st, 2019.
- State-level Webinar on the topic" Floral Diversity" was organized in connection with International Day for Biological Diversity 22nd May 2020.
- International Webinar on the topic "Sustaining Our Food Supply" was organized in connection with World Environment Day Celebration June 5th, 2020.